Spectators Code of Conduct
Sports are for the players. All spectators associated with Adirondack Coast Sports are invited to share in the pleasure of watching their loved ones participate, so long as their behavior does not distract the players and officials from the free flow of play. Actions by parents, fans and coaches, whether verbal or nonverbal, can have a lasting emotional effect on children. Too many of today’s youth are leaving sports activities because the fun is unfairly taken away by adults. Adirondack Coast Sports takes pride in having respectful and engaged families, and we ask that parents and guardians continue to adhere to the guidelines below. As a parent, guardian or spectator of a player in an Adirondack Coast Sports program, your actions reflect not only on you, but your child, his/her team and the program as a whole.
A parent, guardian, or spectator must:
- Take time to rest while your player plays.
- Enjoy the process of their learning.
- Understand that coaches and referees are learning as well.
- Foster an environment of respect for referees, players, coaches, and spectators of the opposing team through words of encouragement and support.
- Applaud superior play, effort, and sportsmanship by players on both teams.
- Support your coaches consistently regardless of the results on the field. Coaches contribute many hours of their time to your children. They deserve your congratulations when the team wins and your encouragement when the team doesn’t.
- Never use foul language or obscene gestures at a game or practice site.
- Avoid comments and gestures that express disagreement with referee decisions.
- Cooperate with any request by the game officials.
- Never consume alcoholic beverages on the field location at practices or games.
- Communicate any concerns to the coach at the appropriate time (recommended 24-hour cool off period) away from the playing location and players.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for their guests’ behavior and must inform their guests of the applicable rules of conduct.
A parent, guardian or spectator of our program agrees and understand the following:
- I understand that the use of foul language towards anyone (coaches, teammates, officials, opponents, or spectators) will not be tolerated. I will not engage in any language or actions with the intent to initiate, hurt, intimidate, or humiliate any player, coach, official or spectator. I will not tolerate these acts from any players, coaches or adults associated with Adirondack Coast Sports. These acts shall be considered harassment and will result in the immediate removal from the practice, game, or event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing, taunting or using profane language or gestures.
- I will maintain self-control at games, practices, and other club events.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and demonstrate positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice, or event.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the athletes.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence. I will demand that my child treat all players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect.
- I will praise my child for playing hard and competing fairly.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will not complain or become confrontational about penalties or calls made by the officials, and I will respect the referees and their decisions at all times.
- I will not openly question or confront coaches before, during or after games or practices. I will take the time to speak with coaches about any concerns calmly, privately and at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I have for my child or his/her team to win.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability, illness or injury that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
Any breaches of this Code of Conduct can result in your removal and, if necessary, your child’s suspension from Adirondack Coast Sports programs. Any parent or spectator who fails to adhere to these standards will be required to leave the playing area, and play will be suspended until he or she does so.
Adirondack Coast Sports reserves the right to suspend or terminate a player’s enrollment for his or her parent’s persistent or extreme sideline misbehavior, and there will be no refunds of player fees in such cases.